Everything Is Illuminated



I've just finished reading Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. Here's a small discription of the book that I found online:

Jonathan Safran Foer (both the author's and main character's name) is a writer who goes to the Ukraine to visit his Jewish roots and find the family that saved his grandfather from the Nazis. His tour guide and translator is Alexander Perchov, although Alex's translations are often a hilarious mangling of the English language. Three narratives run throughout the book, Foer's history of his family in the small village in the first half of the century, Alex's recollection of the time spent with Foer in the Ukraine, and Foer's attempt to understand the truth about his grandfather's past. This novel has generated many glowing reviews. The Washington Post says Everything is Illuminated "is madly complex, at times confusing, overlapping, unforgiving. But read it, and you'll feel altered, chastened -- seared in the fire of something new."



All I have to say is that this book made me laugh a lot, many of those times, I had to control myself because people around me on the subway started staring at me as if I had lost my mind. Then, after half of the book was read, the story started getting quite serious and I won't lie to you, the ending is quite heartbreaking. It's a great book and it's worth your time.

And I'm now reading Jonathan's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas